Sunday, April 3, 2011

Expanding Horizons

In most cases museums and art galleries are not things that will encourage me to go out of my way to experience what they have to offer. But, there is something mind-boggling about overcoming your innate resistance and going for it. It often expands your horizons. I thought it was time to experience the Metropolitan Art Museum on 5th Ave. in New York City. It boggled my mind. In the first place, 5th Ave. was lined with police officers. I asked one of them, “What’s up?” he says the President will be coming through here within the hour. I did hear on the morning news that President Obama would be speaking at the United Nations and then doing a $3000/ plate fundraising event in Harlem in the evening. After making my way through the fortress I arrived at the front steps of the Art Museum, found my way to the cashier at the entry and was told, no cash is accepted. Out comes one of my many credit cards and I’m in at a senior rate of $15 for the entire day. Unfortunately, I don’t have all day but only 3 hours before the basketball game at Madison Square Garden.
The Metropolitan Art Museum is truly overwhelming or if you will allow me, mind-boggling. In the first place it is huge. It covers several acres on multiple levels. I can’t be specific since I only scratched the surface as I wandered around the place for three hours. Finding one’s way through the myriad of exhibitions is a mind-boggling experience. As I attempted to find my way there was never a lack of incredible pieces of art. From the most ancient Greek statues to exhibits that approached my level of understanding. Okay, I don’t pretend to be able to understand or analyze much of what I saw but now I am motivated to learn more.
I can tell you the exhibit which I searched for, gave up on finding and then stumbled upon was Paul Cezanne’s Card Players. He was a French artist who lived from 1839-1906. A quote from him as part of the exhibit states: “Alas, even though I am already old, I am only a beginner and if I may say so, I believe I do understand.” At any rate, his paintings on display of three card players are mind-boggling. They capture the essence of peasants in France in those days, their character and seriousness about the game. It made me want to know so much more about each of those men and their lives. The exhibit also includes Cezanne’s pencil drawings, the first steps toward the finished product. Along with those are individual drawings and paintings of Cezanne’s models, individually, prior to being integrated into the final painting.
The Metropolitan Art Museum is mind-boggling. Do not miss it if you ever have a chance. I will go back many times until I see it all and then start over again. That’s what it will take to comprehend that which I have seen.
Stan the Man

  

No comments:

Post a Comment