Sunday, January 22, 2012

MInd-boggling change!

I’m searching through my mind attempting to find a recollection of where I might have put the utility bill. I don’t need the bill, just the account number. The digital clock beside the bed says 3:15 AM. Suddenly it comes to me. The needed document must be in the “recently paid bills” file in the four drawer file cabinet. I file that tidbit away in my memory until morning and return to my dreams. Three hours later I’m awake and head directly to the file cabinet. Wait a minute, where is the file cabinet? It has disappeared and with it the much needed document.
The next order of business is to get the morning coffee brewed. In the kitchen I find the same puzzling situation. The coffee maker is gone. It has disappeared along with the file cabinet. Oh well, no coffee maker. There is a coffee shop downstairs. I go down and get a cup of java to drink while I watch “Morning Joe” my favorite morning show on MSNBC. As I walk by the concierge’s desk in the lobby she speaks to me in Spanish. The daytime concierge is from the Dominican Republic and we often have brief exchanges in Spanish. I know she said “buenas dias, como estas esta manana” but she also used a word I didn’t recognize. Back upstairs I reach for the Spanish dictionary to translate her word. My hand grasps nothing but empty space. The dictionary is gone. Oh well, it’s time for Morning Joe. I begin a search for the TV remote. It is nowhere to be found. 
My brain is apparently a little slow capturing the fact that we are in once again in transition. That is we are moving once again. The movers came yesterday and only left a small table and chairs, and a mattress along with Katherine and I. Even with that knowledge my habits persist, expecting things that are gone to be in their familiar places. This is another example of how difficult transitions can be. They essentially disrupt ones equilibrium. It can take some time for the changes to sink in and allow new brain patterns to take over. It is mind-boggling how disconcerting change can be.
We have had many transitions. I don’t know how often we’ve said “This will be the last time.” So far, that hasn’t occurred. Our furniture is on its way to our apartment in Bal Harbour, Florida. We will join it for only a brief time. Why make it simple?  Next we fly to San Francisco where Katherine has taken a new position for six months. Potentially we will spend 6 months in San Francisco in an apartment paid for by Katherine’s employer, return to Florida and rejoin our furniture and then settle down. Hah! We shall see.
Coming up soon will be our initial mind-boggling impressions of San Francisco, perhaps also some after-thoughts of New York City.
Stan the Man

No comments:

Post a Comment