Friday, July 12, 2019

Mind-boggling Reminder

It seems there are some things we don't fully understand until they are experienced. I had no problem with Katherine traveling to Mexico City to learn Spanish through an immersion program. You see she's motivated to help with the struggles at the border and caring for immigrants. She could be much more effective if she spoke Spanish. I thought it was a good idea and helped her before she departed with my rusty Spanish left over from 2 years in the Peace Corps. Two weeks as a bachelor again sounded kind of good.

It didn't turn out to be much fun. After three days I missed her something terrible. I cooked my own meals, cleaned up after myself, did laundry, walked our Greyhound three times a day and on and on. It was an extremely busy time keeping the household together. We have a great relationship which includes an equitable division of labor. Taking it all on and more wasn't an issue.

 I missed her companionship, our conversations, our un-spoken understandings of one another and a myriad of other things. Once again I'm reminded of the importance of that one primary relationship and how it nourishes body and soul.I will probably begin to take our relationship for granted but for now the experience of a two week absence is helping me celebrate her presence.

Yes, it is a mind-boggling experience to know again; absence does make the heart grow fonder.  

Stan the Man

No comments:

Post a Comment