Sunday, July 19, 2026

 I'm back! Yes, if you've been following at all you would be somewhat  aware that I was totally surprised by a stroke on May 25th, 2026. After the stroke hit me at home I went to the brand new Tucson Rehabilitation Hospital. That was my home and rehab center for two weeks before I was able to talk my way out of there and back home. Now, at home I am involved in outpatient rehabilitation two days a week. Began in Rio Rico and now transferred to Sahuarita where I get physical therapy as well as occupational therapy. The Physical Therapy is working on my walking, balance and the use of my left arm; the occupational therapy is with a hand specialist who is trying to get me back to my former typing skills. You can't know how difficult what I'm doing right now is for me.

I've learned some about strokes. There are between 700,000 and 800,000 strokes in the USA every year, at least one out of every four have a second stroke so that is something a stroke survivor like me lives with for the rest of their life. There are two types of strokes: Ischemic and hemorrhagic. The first is the type I had, it's when a fragment breaks lose and blocks a blood vessel in the brain. The second is caused by a leak or rupture in a blood vessel that causes blood to flood into the brain resulting in pressure on the brain. The hemorrhagic stroke is usually the more serious while the Ischemic is the most common, about 87% of all strokes.

From my experience you really don't want either one. Prevention involves not smoking, keeping your blood pressure under control and a healthy, low fat diet. If you aren't doing it now, start today. Also exercise helps.

What they don't tell you is that a stroke, any type is an injury to the brain and brains have a lot of control over not only the physical aspect of our bodies but also the emotional. It is quite common for stroke victims to have increased and unexpected bouts of anxiety, anger and depression. I have experienced all three along with paranoia. This process can easily change a person's personality. I'm now working on that aspect since I am walking pretty well and certainly hope to improve my typing skills.Please stay tuned. I have to say thank you to Katherine the Great and God for being on my side throughout my recovery. 

Stan the Man 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment