Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Physical objects gone wild.

Today I find the physical world mind-boggling. Because of the actions of objects that I thought I had control over, I am in mourning and experiencing a real sense of loss.
I have been a life-long fly-fishing enthusiast. Several years ago I found a beautiful rug which reflected that passion and I became attached. This rug has a white background with designs of colorful trout, assorted flies and fly rods. It has been my pride and joy, always taking its position in strategic locations wherever we  lived. In our current apartment the ideal spot was in the small kitchen.
Last week I innocently opened the refrigerator door to grab a bottle of barbecue sauce to aid in the preparation of a steak for dinner. Now these bottles always have instructions that say "shake well before use". I did that. The bottle had already unscrewed  its top so I was screwed. One good shake, the top came off and that messy brown stuff was all over my beautiful fly-fishing rug. How and why that bottle unscrewed its top is a mind-boggling question.
My rug maintained its position in the kitchen in-spite of the new dark brown spill obliterating one of the trout and part of the white background. Today I thought a nice glass of milk would taste good. Upon opening the refrigerator door, a nearly full bottle of raspberry vinaigrette salad dressing leaped out of the door, smashed its lid off on the tile floor and sprayed its entire bright red cargo all over my already soiled rug.
I lost the battle with two physical objects that I thought had no life or power of their own.Has anybody else ever experienced this type of phenomenon?

My rug is now rolled up, sitting in the hall waiting for garbage pick-up and transportation to its final resting place.I am grieving this mind-boggling loss.

I will be getting more serious soon but a humorous view of things around us can never hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment