Thursday, November 4, 2010

Traveling Miseries Without Relief but Staying Peaceful.

A bad thing about moving from Seattle to New York City is that I have loved one's in the Seattle area. I need periodic trips back to Seattle. I made one Wednesday night from Newark International. I'm still recovering.
Forty minutes to board and find space for every one's so called "carry-ons." Why don't they check those monstrous bags? Oh yeah, the airlines in their thoughtful ways started charging $25 per bag. By the time I finally got to row 27 seat B there was no room left in the overhead bins. No problem for me. My 30 pound back pack fits snugly under the seat in front of me.
Sandwiched between two large men who have taken ownership of the armrests I can't wiggle around and get anything out of my backpack. My elbows become intimate. No writing tonight.
It's mind boggling that this transcontinental flight has no music programming to plug into, no TV or movies to present to passengers. Instead the airline wants you to rent a a small screen machine for your lap. That's only $12. And they don't take cash. Only credit cards.
Kids behind me scream and yell as they play some kind of card game with their daddy. At every scream there are kicks directly into the back of my seat probably doing permanent kidney damage.
Somebody I couldn't identify across the aisle and behind me coughed incessantly throughout the flight. They were uncovered coughs which sounded like TB or pneumonia to me. I'm waiting to see what I will come down with.
Intermittent turbulence and admonishments from the flight deck prevented my necessary bathroom breaks.
"Stay in your seat and keep those seat belts fastened".
Finally after 6 hours that seemed like 6 days as a cramped sardine we landed in Seattle.
Then the announcement. We can't get out of our seats and de-plane. "One of our fellow passengers isn't feeling too chipper". I'm not either. We must wait until the handsome EMTs get aboard and take care of her.
Then another 40 minute process of getting everyone and their carry-ons off and I finally escape hell.
This was a mind boggling experience and enough to get me to swear off flying forever but I need to get back to my wonderful, beautiful wife in New York. Then next week we fly to Miami and on to Belize for a week in a tropical paradise. Will I never learn.? Stay tuned for updates on that adventure.
Stan the Man

No comments:

Post a Comment