Sunday, December 12, 2010

Christmas Cookies....

It's mind-boggling how generations become the next...years slip by and suddenly you are at the age you believed "old".  You know that age your grandparents were, once upon a time, now long gone...and now you are in line for that too if you live long enough.

Holidays seems to mark that time in memories of past celebrations and rituals, reminiscing bygone days. Special times stand in my memory of moments during Christmas cookie baking with my grandmother, mother and children over the years, those special red cookie cutters that even as a child held me spellbound with cookies of wreaths, reindeer and sleighs.  I revisited that with my own grandchildren at our ranch in Arizona when I decided it was time to pass on those red cookie cutters to the next generation.  It's mind-boggling that I still love those wonderful iced sugar cookies in Christmas designs-still yummy after all these years!

This year,Stan the Man and I, enjoyed a very special holiday, taking Kim and Adam, two of my now middle aged offspring, to the Rockettes Christmas Spectacular!  Wow, over the top, better than Christmas cookies, it truly was spectacular!!  So now we may have a new Christmas ritual in the years to come, less calories than those Christmas cookies, but what fun to share some of the incredible NYC glitz and glamour!!

I am left thinking of my mother who passed on the red cookie cutters to me in a special moment that I hold dear.  Now she is in a nursing home, in a world other than the present, perhaps enjoying her childhood all over again and Christmas cookies baking in the oven.

Katherine the Great

No comments:

Post a Comment