Tuesday, June 7, 2011

A Mind-Boggling World of T-shirts

With the advent of tourist season in New York City I have become intrigued with t-shirts. I realize it isn’t only the tourists wearing them. Tourist season is actually year around here but t-shirts increase drastically with improving weather. It is hot in New York City this, the first week, of June. Coats and sweaters have been shed by everyone who is able and t-shirts rein. They are everywhere. They stroll along the Hudson River, they rush up and down Broadway, they clamor for Broadway tickets, they inundate bars and restaurants. It’s truly a hay day for a student of t-shirts. Of course, it is not about the t-shirt itself but rather about the message they put out into the world.
What I don’t understand is the willingness of people to serve as walking billboards for clothing companies. Why would anyone pay good money to buy a t-shirt that is emblazoned with Old Navy or Abercrombie & Fitch or North Face or Eddie Bauer just to name a few I see regularly on the street? There is also Nautica, Hilfiger, Timberland and Pink? Folks pay big bucks to own these garments then become not only free advertizing for the retailer but they paid for the opportunity to advertize for them. There just seems to be something wrong with this picture. Now the subtle hint of Nike indicated by a small slash doesn’t seem so intrusive but “Old Navy” seems like I’m being screamed at. Oh yes, then there are the “I love (heart) New York” t-shirts that are the big rage for tourists. What a great marketing ploy. You give me $15 and I’ll give you the opportunity to advertize my product, in that case New York City. Also popular since 9/11 are NYPD and FDNY who of course were the first responder heroes.
In my younger years I was a runner. I ran in many 5K and 10K races and eventually worked up to half marathons. A t-shirt was always given to the participants. I had many and wore them proudly. It signified an accomplishment. I still see a few of those and admire them even though mine have all gone the route of the rag bag. T-shirts for causes like the Diabetes Walk or the M.S. Bike-a-thon, I can see. They advertize a worthwhile cause and an accomplishment of the wearer. It still is mind-boggling to me why people are willing to use their own hard earned money to be a sign board advertisement for corporate America.
I do have to say, some t-shirts are entertaining. I want to read the ones some women wear but am embarrassed to stare at their breasts long enough to read the message. The best one I have seen lately was wore by an older man stating: “I am old enough to have seen it all, heard it all and done it all. I just can’t remember any of it.” I also enjoyed this one: “I’m not totally useless. I can be used as a bad example.”
These I can identify with.
Stan the Man  

No comments:

Post a Comment