Thursday, July 21, 2011

Embracing Technology

I’m always struggling to keep up with the latest mind-boggling technological advances. My efforts aren’t always successful but I keep trying. Some years ago I did a series of trainings encouraging people to be cautious of techno-stress. I was saying, “It’s not all good. We need balance in our lives.” Now I think it was too early in the tech revolution. Not many people were ready to hear my message. Now I think 2011 is too late. Everyone has embraced the multiple technologies that rule our lives. Like I say, “I try.”
Yes, I have a BlackBerry, a cell-phone, multiple e-mail systems, write posts on this blog, store my writings on the Dell laptop that travels with me everywhere I go and on and on. Now I have taken another step that I never thought I would take. I love books. They are one of my greatest possessions even though the number has dwindled as we move from place to place. I won’t ever give up books, real books as a major contributor to the richness of my life.
But I bought a Barnes and Noble NOOK. It’s like Amazon’s Kindle. Electronic books, downloaded instantaneously. Mine is in color and came with 100 Classic books, free. These 100 books range from Moby Dick to Edgar Alan Poe’s best stories to the Odyssey. The photo to the right shows my old fashion pen next to the “chip” that holds all of the classics. Yes that’s correct. That dinky little thing has 100 classic books on it. The Nook will hold over 3000 full length books. You can read easily in the dark, the sunlight or anywhere. It is truly mind-boggling.
I only hope I’m not contributing to the eventual demise of books and bookstores. As I mentioned they will always be important in my life. The experts say there are enough book fanatics like me to insure bookstores with hard copy books will survive well into the future.
I have read Visit From the Goon Squad, Room and Star Island as my first three Nook books. Now to start on the Classics.
Stan the Man

No comments:

Post a Comment