Thursday, May 24, 2012

Mind-boggling process of transition once again

Initiating and managing change and transition involves enough knowledge and expertise that at least several books have been written about it. I think I should have written such a book. Everything is changing again. Katherine has accepted an offer to serve as permanent Director of Case Management over four large hospitals in San Francisco. So it looks like a little stability may come into our lives. It also means another transition is underway and so I swing into action.
My initial action was a 6 hour American Airlines flight to Miami, Florida followed by a wild 30 minute taxi ride to our condo in Bal Harbour. Yes, we had planned on living there. We love the climate and the environment but everything has changed once again. My job, to get three bids from moving companies to move all of our worldly possessions to our new home. The process is not much fun but I am a professional at it after all of our moving experiences. North American Van Lines was the winner primarily because they could pick our belongings up on the earliest date.
In the middle of this process close friends Jon and Sonya appeared in Florida on vacation from California. They were a welcome diversion. We spent a great day together after their 4AM arrival. They enjoyed the beach, my favorite restaurant and we had on-going great conversations like always. Too bad Katherine remained back in the Bay Area slaving away. I guess somebody has to work.
After vacillating back and forth I decided to drive our practically new car back to California rather than shipping it. I’m always up for an adventure and a road trip. One hour after the movers were gone and the floors mopped I was on my way. The trip took me through the length and breadth of Florida, across Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, through Dallas and Amarillo in Texas, then on to New Mexico and Arizona and finally California. The trip consumed most of six days and put 3100 miles on the Mazda 3. I arrived safe and well.
It was a mind-boggling trip. Many lasting impressions and experiences of people, cultures, and topography remain with me. I will write about some of them on this blog shortly.
Stan the Man

No comments:

Post a Comment