Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Mind-boggling Steak Opportunity?

My most recent post on this blog promised more story from my 7 day drive from South Florida to Northern California. Where to start? How about here:
I departed La Quinta in Shreveport, Louisiana at 9AM hoping to make it to Amarillo, Texas by the time I drove out of energy. My goal seemed to be in real jeopardy in Dallas. I was lost. Driving the myriad of freeways, express ways and construction sites in and around Dallas I became more and more exasperated and confused. Three times I stopped to ask directions and received opposing opinions. One gas station attendant told me he had never been to Amarillo and had no idea how to get there. Finally, a helpful Pepsi delivery man consulted his smart phone and quickly pointed me in the correct direction. So, I arrived in Amarillo that night at 8PM.
When on the road I try to stay at La Quinta motels since I can earn free nights with earned points. This night I couldn’t locate one and settled for a Comfort Inn right along Interstate 40. Standing at the front desk checking in I looked at the key card given to me. It had emblazoned on it an advertisement for a free 72 ounce steak. From my memory bank came images of several billboards I had seen along the freeway that advertised the same thing. I exclaimed, “Wow, free steak! What’s up with that? And 72 ounces, that’s 4 ½ pounds isn’t it?”
The answer came from a Texan looking blond woman now standing behind me. “It’s not free unless you eat the whole thing,” she informs me. She had apparently driven in behind me and noted my Florida license plate so she added authoritatively, “If you did it you would be the first person from Florida to ever eat the whole thing.”
I have to admit the potential claim to fame enticed me for a moment but I’m not really a big eater or much of a steak eater either. I said, “No way, not me. I’m not even going to give that a try.” She laughed and said, “I don’t blame you.”
It turns out that the Big Texan Steak House and Motel that makes this offer was close by. As the story goes, some years ago a cowboy came into the restaurant and said, “I’m so hungry I could eat the whole cow.” Thus was born the 72 ounce steak challenge. One has to pay $17.95 for the dinner which includes the steak, shrimp, baked potato and salad. If the challenger can successfully eat all of this in one hour or less they get their money refunded. I guess then they can go to the 54 unit AAA rated motel located next door and sleep it off. Several thousand have accomplished this feat. Check out the details at www.bigtexan.com. Like they say, “Everything is big in Texas.”
Stan the Man



http://www.bigtexan.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment